Rory McIlroy Putting Drill
Here’s a Rory McIlroy putting drill which will build your confidence on the greens. Don’t worry if you can’t make 55 putts in a row like Rory did here during practice yesterday, but the concept is the same even if you only make 10 in a row.
- Pick a straight putt on the green of about 4-5ft and have 10-15 balls ready
- Place a tee in ground so you putt from the same spot each time
- Pick a spot about 6 inches in front of the ball that the ball will roll over to keep it on line (spot putting)
- Look at the hole and make a really positive, smooth stroke rolling the ball over your “spot”
- Make at least 10 in a row just before you go out on the golf course
- Notice the sound and sight of the ball going in and anchor that feeling
- Go and recreate that on the golf course!
You might notice that during this Rory McIlroy putting drill he uses a putting mirror as an which is an alignment aid. It’s got a line down the center of mirror which he lines up to the ball to target line (and he probably makes sure his eyes are in a consistent position each time). Then all he has to do is take the putter back and through along that line to hit the putt straight. This drill helps groove a solid stroke and build confidence over short putts.